Saturday 19 April 2014

Illustration Seven


The next part of the story I wanted to illustrate was where the witch (old woman) invited Hansel and Gretel into her home, insisting no harm will come to them. I wasn't looking forward to creating this image because I wasn't sure on how I wanted to compose it because I wanted a lot of elements in it such as 3 characters, background trees and the witches house. However, I did over come the problem I was having a created a pretty good image which I really like.

I started out by sketching some positions of Hansel and Gretel. I wanted the image of them to look like Gretel was scared of the witch and Hansel was trying to usher his sister to the old womanshouse.


These are the two positions I chose and I think they work really well.

I made Hansel look like he was showing Gretel that the old woman is a nice person and just wants to help them and that is why his arms are pointing outwards and I think it really works.

I made Gretel look like she is tugging on Hansels shirt, almost like saying she is scared to go with the old woman.

I next started to think about the position of the witch. I knew I wanted her crouched over with a stick but I wasnt sure if I wanted her from the front or the side.

I decided the side view of the witch would be the best to use and I redrew it and added the clothes to her.
I then scanned the prints into Photoshop and arranged them into the position I wanted them in. I think they positions work really well and the characters look like how i planned which I was relieved with.


I next started thinking about how I wanted the witches house to look. I didn't want to go down the traditional route and go all out on the candy house so I just added a few little things to the house like an icing roof which I made look like it was melting just for effectiveness and some lollies around the bottom of the house.
I printed the house and I really like how it turned out. I like the texture of the foot path coming from the house and the effect of the roof.

I next assembled all of the elements of the image together and added ink blown trees and a texture to the floor. I really like how this one has turned considering I was very sceptical at the beginning. I also added the border from the previous images and I think it sets it off really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment