Saturday 19 April 2014

Hansel and Gretel: Character Development

The Witch

As stated in the story the witch is an old woman therefore this is my starting point for my character development. Due to this, old women will be my focus for this character and I will study their postures and appearance. I have decided to keep to the 19th century theme therefore I will look at 19th century lower class fashion and hairstyles.
Hansel 

There isn't much of a description for Hansel in the story but I have a rough idea of how I want to go about creating him. Just like the witch I will look at lower class children's fashion and hairstyles of the 19th century to give me some guidance and inspiration. 

Gretel

There is only a small description of Gretel and it states she is wearing a pinafore so I will work her appearance around that detail. Again, I will look at lower class children's fashion and hairstyles of the 19th century.

Father

The Father is a woodcutter in the story so I would expect him to look very grubby and rough. Maybe wearing work clothes of some kind. I will look at wood cutter uniforms for inspiration and mens hair/facial hairstyles.

Mother

The Mother is not described at all so I will look at lower class women of the 19th century and get inspiration for her character that way. I will most likely focus on middle aged women for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment