Saturday 19 April 2014

End Papers

At the start of the project I was finding it difficult to figure out how I would like to create my illustrations so I decided to focus on something different in the mean time. I started thinking about end papers and what I could do with them. I decided against having plain end papers because if I was to make the actual book, which I may end up doing, I wanted them to be interesting and fitting with the story. 

I came up with the idea of making a repeat pattern to cover the sheet and this pattern consisted of small elements from the story, including; candy canes, packet sweets, lollies, and bones. I drew small sketches of these into a sketch book using a fine liner and then scanned them into Photoshop and created the pattern.

I had a mess around with the contrast and levels of the images and then assembled them together into a small square and then repeated it all over the page. I made the images black on a white background but then I tried inverting the colours and I thought it looked really cool and creepy, which is the feel I'm trying to go for in my illustrations. Once I had finished the end papers I realised that they were a little dull when I printed them so I changed the contrast to make them brighter and I think they look much better. I am still unsure of which version I like better therefore I will decide when I have completed the 10+ illustrations for the story.  


Dull

Fixed contrast
Dull

Fixed contrast


No comments:

Post a Comment