Saturday 19 April 2014

Illustration Nine

The next image I decided to illustrate is where the witch gets thrown into the oven. Now, for this image I had a lot of difficulty thinking of how I wanted to go about it. I thought about drawing an old fashioned oven and being able to see the witch burn through the window but I just thought it would be too much and that this image needed to be straight to the point and quite graphic. Then I remembered a scene from Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street and get a lot of inspiration from the scene below. 


The first sketch I did was of an old fashioned oven but I decided not to go down that route so I ended up drawing the witch with her arms up in a frightened state.

This was the print I made form the sketch and I missed out the body because I wanted the flames I am later going to do engulf the body so that only the head and arms are to be seen.
For the flames I used black ink and water to make marks which resembled fire. I am really happy with how these have turned out and they look like how I was expecting.
This is the final image and I think it has worked very well. This is one of my favourite illustrations I've done so far. I used the flames I created with the ink with different opacities and I think they give a really good effect.l I also used the border from the previous images around this and I think it all works together perfectly. 

1 comment:

  1. I have yet to post a comment, anywhere...have no idea why folks do this.

    ReplyDelete