Saturday 19 April 2014

Illustration One

As I said in my previous post I changed my way of working. I started off wanting to create my illustration using pencil and having a lot of detail but I thought that using silhouettes and printing would make the images a lot more creepy and fitting with the story. This is the first image I created.

These are the initial quick sketches I did of the character positions.

I then chose the two which would fit in with scene, this one and the image below.


Next I added the correct clothing and hairstyles to the characters.

And then dry point printed them onto watercolour paper.

I stated in my previous posts the process of how I got to this image but after looking at it I changed a few things. I ended up taking off the surrounding trees and just blurring the edges with a gradient eraser and leaving it as a vignette but I still wasn't happy with it.

I then put on a border which was around the outside of another print I did and I thought I could do something really good with it. I was right, I really like the look of the border but I am still not keen on the over all image. I think it looks too digital and that's not the look I was going for.

After a lot of thinking I decided that it was the trees that were the problem in my final image so I tried a new technique. This was to blow black ink with a straw and create tree type images from them. I did this on watercolour paper and tracing paper and scanned them into Photoshop and picked which I thought fit best. I kept the border around the outside and even added a different texture on the floor. I am really proud of this image and I'm glad I finally got to where I wanted to be because this set the style and technique for the rest of my illustrations which I was very glad about.


No comments:

Post a Comment