Saturday 19 April 2014

Illustration Eleven

The next part of the story I wanted to illustrate is where Hansel and Gretel go home to their father and he greets them and they hand him the jewels and gems. Just like the second and third illustrations I wanted to make this into two separate illustrations that will work as one. 
I started by drawing out some small sketches of children standing up.
I then chose the two which I thought would work best in the illustration. 


I then added the clothing to the figures. I didn't like the way Gretels arms were in the previous image so I kept the stance and changed the arms a little so that they were facing down instead of folded.

I next printed the images and I think they worked out really well. 



After editing them on Photoshop I positioned the two figures how I wanted them to look and then added a floor texture underneath them, as you can see in the image below.
This is how the final image will look. It will be on the right hand side page in the left bottom corner and it will interact with the next image I will create which will be of their Father.

I started out by drawing a man in different positions. I started with standing positions but I thought that this would look intimidating so I changed my idea so that the Father would be knelt down in front of the children and I think this will give a more comforting feel to the image.


I decided to chose a side view image with an extended arm suggesting he is reaching out for the jewels and gems off of the children when they return home.

I printed the image and you can see that I have put the man in working clothes as the Father in the story is a woodcutter.


In the story this scene is set in the house of the Father and children but I didn't want to take the attention away from the characters in this one by drawing a full house so I drew out a small section of a brick wall and placed it behind the man as you can see in the image below.



I really like how these two images turned out and I think they work together very well.









No comments:

Post a Comment