Monday 20 October 2014

Non - Narrative Illustration - Vinyl Cover

This is the process of creating my Vinyl cover for Murder Ballads by Nick Cave. When I was editing my Fashion Illustration I was playing around with the red paint from my poster and I really liked how it looked for my Fashion Illustration but then 2 of my friends suggested trying to make an album cover out of it, so I gave it a shot and ended up really liking it. 


I set the canvas to the 12" vinyl size with a 5mm bleed and started with placing the Illustration on the left. I placed it here because you read an image left to right, usually. 
I then added the red painted background to the image which I really like. The composition works really well in my opinion. I also like how the grey and red look together.
I am enjoying using borders at the moment in this project and it is on trend in the illustration industry so I decided to put a border around the red section. I really like how the red comes out at the bottom, it gives it a less perfect sense to it.
I next had the idea of creating the title to resemble that of a ransom note, to tie in with my concept of Murder. I placed it over the top line of the border which I like and I really like how I have positioned it off the edge of the border. 


I next added the other text, I used the type face that I used on the poster just so everything connected together nicely. Unfortunately, after a group crit with a few other students and my tutor, we decided that the newspaper Nick Cave wasn't good because it was very 'Sex Pistols' so I changed this up.





I decided to choose a font which was quite simple and not so 'Sex Pistols'. And I aslo added the red hand print to the middle of the image because I thought it looked rather plain. I am not too happy with this at this stage so I am going to develop a little more before deciding on a final image.

No comments:

Post a Comment