Friday 10 October 2014

Non - Narrative Illustration - Accidental Poster?!

After drawing the two Nick Cave portraits and experimenting with the red paint I did it with the intentions of making an album cover but when I looked at the images I created I thought they would be better to use as poster images. To create the images below I used red acrylic, black Molotow acrylic paint pen and black ink. The first image below was the first one I did. My initial idea was to have red paint rising from the bottom of the image, representing blood but it looks really bad, I thought it would be cool but it just looks horrible. The face is okay, I like the effect the red paint gives but I don't like the image as a whole. I took what I learned from this and developed it into the next image. I ditched the red paint rising from the bottom of the page and made a red paint splatter instead. I think it looks so much better and looser which I really like. I also took a technique from a previous drawing where I used the black ink and water to create tones in the face and added red paint to it as well. I really like this image, the tones have worked really well and the red looks awesome, in my opinion. I also took another technique from my other drawing and added a little bit of a red background behind and to the side of his face. I think this worked really well and I like the way it looks. As a final touch I added some red and black splashes of paint and ink to represent blood splatters, to link back to my concept. The red paint looks pink in some areas when I scanned the image so when I edit into a poster on Photoshop I will play around with the colours and hopefully change it up so it looks right. My next step is to also think about the text that will be on the poster, I am thinking of just having "Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds" and "Murder Ballads". 


 























No comments:

Post a Comment