Monday 20 October 2014

Non - Narrative Illustration - Vincent Castiglia

After I was given the idea of drawing with real blood I started looking for artists who also worked in this way. I came across Vincent Castiglia and he is and American painter who paints with human blood. His art work is really bizarre and usually interprets the human form, birth and death. He sketches out his drawing using graphite and then uses his own blood to paint the image. He once stated 'My response would be to really take a look at the content of the work, which overshadows what it's made from, I think,' he said. 
'In order for something to be a gimmick, it really would have to lack substance.' [1]

His work has been used for movie advertisements, album cover and has even been featured in the TV reality show Miami Ink. 

What really inspired me about his work is the colour and tone he gets when using the medium. In parts there is rich blood colour and in others it's almost like a blood stain which works really well. I am still not totally sure on if I am going to use real blood as of yet, but if I do I think I will take his technique into consideration and work from there. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2214480/Vincent-Castiglia-Meet-artist-paints-BLOOD.html#v-1877233337001

Here are some images of his work: 




























[1] ASSOCIATED NEWSPAPERS LTD. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2214480/Vincent-Castiglia-Meet-artist-paints-BLOOD.html. (21.10.14)

No comments:

Post a Comment