Monday 12 January 2015

Commercial Image Creation - York Cafes

Whilst in York I visited quite a few cafes. When looking at the cafes I took photographs to work from and also did a few reportage sketches whilst there. In total I visited 7 cafes from around York for my project. The cafes I visited were; Cafe Concerto, Coffee Culture, Me and Mrs Fisher, The Hairy Fig, The Hungry Artist, Bettys Cafe and Tea Rooms and The Perky Peacock. I will talk about a few below.

Cafe Concerto 

Cafe Concerto is a very unique and independent cafe. It is based around music, as the name states, and even has an apartment above for up to 5 guests called The Music House Apartment. I was interested in this cafe because of the decor. The plates etc. that are used in the cafe have sheet music printed around the edges which I think gives the place a really nice touch. There is also sheet music plastered up on the walls which I really liked as it gave the cafe character.























Me and Mrs Fisher

Me and Mrs Fisher is a cafe of crafts and cakes. It sells home made bakery and craft items and even has workshops available for people of the public to take part in. I think this cafe is really unique and what caught my eye firstly was the logo of the cafe, the 3 stacked cups is a very cute little illustration and it reminds me a lot of Tim Burtons work. 






The Hairy Fig

The Hairy Fig is a small Deli situated in York and it is packed full of produce from York, Yorkshire and Europe. Unlike most cafes it sells Spanish, Italian, French and Mexican foods with a wide range of balsamic vinegars. What caught my attention about this cafe was the name, I knew as soon as I heard it that it would be an interesting cafe.






















The Hungry Artist 

The Hungry Artist caught my attention because inside and upstairs it had a little art gallery. There are paintings on the wall leading upstairs and lots of objects like mannequins and painted tables which I thought was a really nice touch to the cafe. There was space upstairs in the gallery to sit and eat and drink and it was very peaceful. The artwork is created by local artists and artists from all around the world and are also available for purchase at affordable prices. 



















The Perky Peacock

The Perky Peacock first caught my attention because of the unique building shape, there is something very artists about the architecture that I just had to look into it. Outside of the cafe there are little table with jars of flowers on the top which just give the cafe a nice welcoming feel. 






No comments:

Post a Comment