Tuesday 21 April 2015

Negotiated Project - 'Map'

Map.

I thought that making a child friendly map which shows some interesting places to maybe visit with illustrated images.



I found a map of Berlin and copied the lines so that the map was geographically correct. The yellow lines are the paths/roads and the blue is water. I think all of the colours go well together.


I zoomed in onto a specific area where the different places were so that there was a larger space to draw the illustrations.


I added some pin point numbers to able the child to refer to a key which will be at the side of the map.



I added the name key at the side of the map so the child can refer to it to find out which landmark is which.


This was my plan of where to place the illustrations for the map.


I drew all of the illustrations digitally because I think it fits the children's activity book better than traditional drawings as the line is cleaner and easier to look at. The first illustration I did was the Brandenburg Gate. I used light browns, yellows and golden colours to create the illustration and I think it works rather well.


The next one I did was the Jews Memorial stones. I took a photograph I had taken whilst at Berlin and used the line tool to make sure the stones were positioned right and I used the colour finder to block colour the stones surfaces. 


I then did the Museum Island/Pergamon the same way as the Brandenburg Gate. I used darker browns and greys and a small touch of golden colours to create this and I think it worked rather well. Also seen in this screen shot is the middle feature from the Reichstag. I used a simple pen tool to draw out the outline and some light greys and white to create the mirrored effect.


Next I created the zoo illustration where I used the Buddy bear character and turned him into a Panda by colouring the templates arms, legs and ears black.


For the restaurant illustration I just drew a simple knife and fork as the is the general icon for a restaurant. I used a light grey colour so that it wasn't too harsh against the other illustrations.


I next drew the illustration for the East Side Gallery where I drew part of the art which is on the wall itself. At first when I thought about drawing this I was worried about plagiarism accusations but I think that because this is for an educational travel and activity guide for children it's not a problem to use this image. This drawing was in no way originally created by myself.


The last image is of the Berlin Wall Memorial where I drew the general shape of a section of the wall and used lots of bright colours to suggest graffiti.
I am really pleased with how this has turned out. I think that it is very child friendly and easy to read. I showed this to my 5 year old nephew and he was able to point and tell me which number was which image. I think even if the child cannot read the names, the parent can help and learn the child.

No comments:

Post a Comment