Tuesday 30 September 2014

Non - Narrative Illustration - Goya

As my concept is 'Murder' I looked at an artist called Francisco De Goya, or just Goya. Goya was a Spanish painter and print maker. I decided to look at him because his work is really dark and he once created a print series called Disasters of War and these prints were seen as a protest against the violence of war. The prints are rather graphic, showing the death of war, this is part of the reason I chose to look at his work. I really like the dark background of his prints but I also really love prints themselves. I think they give such a nice effect ad I think if you try hard enough can create something really effective by using different materials and tools to mark make on the surface. The series can be split into 3 different stages, prints 1 - 47 focus n war incidents and shows conflicts on soldiers and civilians. prints 48 - 64 show the famine that Madrid had been caught up in and the last 17 prints reflect the hierarchy. As my concept is Murder I think this artist and this series fits quite well. I also think that because my target audience is older teenagers and adults this is an appropriate artist to look at without it being offensive. 

Below I will insert some prints from the Disasters of War series and some of his other prints too. 











No comments:

Post a Comment