Friday 26 September 2014

Non - Narrative Illustration - Nick Cave - A Product

I have to create a product based around the album and artist I have chosen. I can choose from the following products; Apparel, Home Wear, Ceramics, Greetings Cards, Stationary and Toys. I have looked at Nick Cave existing merchandise and accessories and I will add pictures below and talk a bit more about them. 

Apparel

Apparel is basically just 'clothing' and I have found a lot of merchandise t-shirts of Nick Cave. 

The two t-shirt below are form the same website (http://www.bathroomwall.co.uk/store/images/t-shirts/man-cave-White-optimized.png) And I really like the style of them. Stencil art work is really good for t-shirts as the design is very simple and in the long run it would cost less to mass produce as there won't be multiple colours which need to be printed. 






























The t-shirt below and to the left are probably some of the worst t-shirt designs I've ever came across. I hate t-shirts that only use a small amount of space on the front for a little low quality image. I don't think many people would but these and I definitely think they would pay a little extra for a more aesthetically pleasing item of clothing.






























This is a hat/cap design from the same website as the two t-shirts above (http://www.cafepress.co.uk/+nick-cave+gifts) and I have the same feelings about this as I do about the shirts. I think the design is really bad and I wouldn't think about designing anything for this particular style of hat because it's not really in fashion anymore, I would choose a woolen hat or a beanie as they are more trendy now and more people would buy it. I think the style of beanie where there is a small embroidered logo on the front band of the hat looks really good and will sell more as these are becoming a trendy thing with older teenagers and young adults. 


http://shop.nickcave.com/nick-cave-the-bad-seeds/merchandise.html

The website above shows a lot of simple merchandise similar to the first two t-shirts I spoke about. Most have limited colour, which as I said would be cheaper to produce but there are also a few t-shirts with vibrant colour which I think more people would go towards buying as they look more interesting and I will attach a picture of this below.




Homeware

I also found some homeware merchandise of Nick Cave and I will talk about thee below. 


This is an ornament which you can hang, probably made as a Christmas Tree decoration. I really like this design. I like the minimal colours and the stencil design. The colours work really well together also, I think the red makes the image pop and it works really well in a circle shape. These would be good to make a bunch of and sell them at Christmas time. A good way to make a bit extra money.














This is a sticker label that you can stick to beer bottles or any other object you wish. It is the same style as the image above therefore I really like the design. I don't think a sticker would be very expensive to produce so a more complicated design could also be used to create this. These could be good to mass produce and sell on a stall or internet shop.









This is a thermo flask and I don't like the design at all. I think it looks very unaesthetic and the image has been warped due to the shape of the flask. I think a better image could have been used for this but I also think a different product could have worked better, I don't know many people who would want to buy a Nick Cave flask.













This is my favourite home wear product I have seen. I think the design works really well and so does the composition. I like the white border around image, I think it looks very pop art like. I think a lot of people would buy this product because it good for decoration purposes for bedrooms / studios etc. This may be on the more pricey side to produce but I think a lot of people would purchase these.









Ceramics

Some Nick Cave designs have been produced onto ceramics, unfortunately I could only find mugs but design can basically be put onto anything ceramic. 





I hate this. This is the kind of merchandise ceramics that I wonder why people would buy it. I find it unpleasant to look at and I think it has been designed really badly. I suppose that if someone was a huge fan of Nick Cave they would buy this just to say they have it but I don't think anyone would buy this because it's nice to look at.










However, on the same website as the image above (http://www.cafepress.co.uk/+nick-cave+gifts) They also have these designs which I think are so much better. The patterns are really nicely designed and the colours work really well and they look awesome as a series of mugs which I think is great marketing because when I first seen them I thought about if I was to buy one I would probably get more than one as they look good in a set.







I also found these two mugs which I think look really nice. I like the simplicity of them and the design on the first one is awesome. The artwork is very unusual but it fits so well.  

1) http://shop.nickcave.com/view-all/black-mark-ryden-design-bad-seed-mug.html
2) http://shop.nickcave.com/view-all/black-bad-seed-mug.html


Greetings Cards

I couldn't find greetings cards with Nick Cave designs on but I did find Postcards which are pretty similar and could be produced into cards. 



Stationary

I couldn't find any Nick Cave stationary but it could be produced. The name of him or his album could be printed onto the side of a pen or pencil and onto a ruler. I think with this product I would be very limited as to what I could print onto because my target audience is older teenagers to adults, not many of them would want to buy stationary, in my opinion, they would want to buy other things like t-shirts and home wear.

Toys

I also don't think toys would be a good product either because I would associate toys with younger children and that is not my target audience therefore this product would not work. 






No comments:

Post a Comment