Friday 26 September 2014

Non - Narrative Illustration - Nick Cave - CD and Vinyl Packaging

After researching 4 albums and looking into their songs and the stories behind them I have decided to go with Murder Ballads by Nick Cave. I have chosen this one because the stories behind the songs really drew me into the album and made me listen whilst the others I thought were not as strong. I like the idea of creating art work around the theme of murder, I think I will find this quite exciting and fun. I am willing to experiment with media quite a bit in this project as I already have a few ideas I would like to try out. I have also decided that my target audience will be 16+, the reason for this being that the album is branded with Parental Advisory so the album and therefore the artwork will only be suitable for people above 18 or 16 with parental consent. However other age restrictions may apply if people where to buy this album.

I have now researched more into the artist by looking at existing album arts, merchandise, posters etc. Just so I can have some idea of what is already out there and hopefully I will succeed in making my ideas just as good. Not all of the products listed below are specifically for the album Murder Ballads but I think researching his full selection of merchandise would be better than just a few products of one album. 

CD / Vinyl Packaging

I think I am leaning towards creating the packaging for a vinyl record. I looked at already existing vinyls that Nick Cave has released and the can be seen below.

I really like the style of this vinyl cove. The colours are really simple yet very effective. I like the use of photography and the over exposed brick wall behind him and the text colour works really well with the image. I also really like the use of lower case letters in the album title, using I find this really annoying and unprofessional but I think it suits the style really well. 
 This is the vinyl cover for the album I have chosen, Murder Ballads. Like I previously said in my other post, I don't understand this artwork and I think it looks really unorganised and the font looks out of place. I don't like the use of the red text over the blue background, I don't think the colours go well so close together. I am hoping that I can come up with some ideas which I like the look of better than the original.
This is another vinyl from Nick Cave and I like this one a lot better than the last. I like the black background and the colourful painted flowers. I really like the texture of the flowers, it looks realistic and the contrast between the background and the bright flowers is really nice and it works really well. I like the use of the black background so I' thinking maybe that can be something I can take forward as inspiration for my vinyl packaging. 

This cover is one of my favourites. I love artwork like this, the use of two opposite shades and the isolation of the image in the centre of the cover is really effective. There's a sense of emptiness and I really like that. I also really like the style of the vinyl record itself, the black centre circle looks really good against the white record. Also, white records are just plain beautiful anyway!








I looked at CD covers as well but they were obviously just the same artwork as the vinyl. (I will attach some photos). I think I will enjoy creating the packaging for a vinyl more than a CD because I have a small passion for vinyl, I love their size, sound and packaging. When it comes to me creating my vinyl packaging I will research different types of vinyl packaging, such as the simple sleeve or a book or something that unfolds, there are probably loads to look at and get inspiration from. I also thought that it would be a little more expensive to produce vinyl covers rather than CD covers considering the size difference but in my opinion it would be worth it.









No comments:

Post a Comment