Saturday 7 December 2013

The Book of Drawings Ideas and Inspiration

The first initial idea I had for my book of drawings was to create a series of 6 digital drawings that document a journey that I take. But after a lot of researching and thinking about my idea I thought that it wasn't very exciting and that's when I came across Shaun Tan who draws every day scenes but adds animals and weird creatures to them to make them a bit more exciting and I really liked this idea.

I started to research a lot of artists that draw characters and animals and even looked at films such as My Neighbour Totoro, Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke and they all had some really interesting characters in them which I was inspired by.

Because I had previously completed projects based around reportage, animals and creatures and people I thought that I could definitely use some inspiration from drawings I had already done. I looked through my sketchbooks and found images I liked and animals which I thought would work well in my drawings.

I was really inspired by the drawing and colouring style of Rodrigo Araya because I like how simple yet quite effective it is and I took a lot of inspiration from style.

I thought about how I would assemble the book once I had completed my drawings. I looked at a variety of binding methods and found a YouTube video which was very helpful.


No comments:

Post a Comment